WIM MERTENS - The Gaze Of The West . CD
- Sabine Warnier, flute, piccolo
- Dymphna Vandenabeele, oboe
- Bart Watté, clarinet
- Dirk Descheemaeker, clarinet
- Katrien Noël, bass clarinet
- Filip Neyens, bassoon
- Hendrik Pellens, saxophone
- Ward Hoornaert, trumpet
- Rozanne Descheemaeker, French horn
- Jan Nicholaers, trombone
- Geert De Vos, bass trombone
- Tatiana Samouil, violin
- Wietse Beels, violin
- Hans De Vos, violin
- Liesbeth De Lombaert, viola
- Jeroen Robbrecht, viola
- Lode Vercampt, cello
- Veerle Simoens, cello
- Ruben Appermont, double bass
- Joris Van Vinckenroye, double bass
- Hanna Grociak, harp
- Peter Verbraken, guitar, bass guitar
- Evert Van Eynde, percussion
- Wim Mertens, piano
Strict and loose, weak and exact, such is the gaze of the West.
Us and them, we and they, why the battle is never over.
The gaze of the white face as incompleteness of the struggle.
The expressed cry, using the master’s tools.
Dismantling it, priestly and prophetic.
The Gaze of the West, what he did not say, what he could not say.
With the loosened grip of expression in the name of the voiceless.
Occidentale, Western wholes, unitary illusion.
In a very Western way, the real forgetting vergessen.
Destinies of Europe, the West and the Rest.
The surveillant gaze. Détourner les yeux.
Gaze and glance in the fabric of practice.
Á la façon de la mer qui s’étale.
Losing its pretention.
The Gaze, interrupted by touch.
*The titles of this new opus are in the spotlight today at a time of great global uncertainty caused by Covid-19.
Music composed, arranged and produced by Wim Mertens
Recorded and engineered by Stephan Kraemer
Production assistant Bart Watté
Executive producer Chusa De la Cruz